CLICK HERE FOR THE 2017 BUSINESS EXCELLENCE FINALIST ANNOUNCEMENT
The Kelowna Chamber of Commerce is proud to be involved in recognizing and praising businesses that excel within our community. The Business Excellence Awards is an annual program that celebrates outstanding business success in Kelowna and the surrounding area. Since its inception in 1987, over 200 awards have gone to well-deserving businesses. Each year the finalists and the award recipients receive valuable publicity before, during and after the event. The employees of these companies also feel a sense of pride in their employer.
This year's awards program attracted over 160 nominations across 9 categories. Their submissions are in, and the judges will be shortlisting during August. Find out who takes home the trophies at the Business Event of the Year.
October 12, 2017 | 5-9pm | The Delta Grand
Go to: The Process | The Categories | The Criteria | Recipients |
The award and overall experience really helped our business to stand out in the community. Winning gave us the opportunity to have 4 minutes of spotlight on just us, in front of 350 business people. It was such a valuable experience. Thank you Kelowna Chamber of Commerce.
~Csek Creative, Recipient, 2016 Marketer of the Year
Receiving this award has been a positive experience for our company and our team. It has introduced Diversified to additional community businesses as well as its members, which has brought more awareness of the various services we offer; including Workplace Health and Wellness options.
~Diversified Rehabilitation Group, Recipient, 2016 Mid-Sized Business of the Year
- Each year, nominations are received for the business and individual awards from across the valley.
- Once nominations close, we throw a party in the nominees' honour, and the nominees are provided with a detailed nomination package to complete.
- Those who submit completed packages become semi-finalists.
- An experienced group of judges then review submissions, and determine the finalists based on criteria against those submitted packages. We then host a second party for the semi-finalists, where the finalists' announcement is made!
- The finalists are then visited in-person by appointment at their place of business by the judges, in September. Following the interviews, the judges get together to determine who the recipients of each award will be.
- The finalists are profiled during the Business Excellence Awards ceremony in October in front of an audience of 350+ and the recipients are announced that evening.
For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Caroline Miller at 250-469-7358 or by email.
We've reviewed and refined our categories! Going forward we will award six core categories annually, plus four special awards that will rotate year to year.
- Rising Star Business of the Year*
- Small Business of the Year*
- Mid-size Business of the Year*
- Large Business of the Year*
- Young Entrepreneur Award*
- Business Leader Award*
- Social Impact Award
- Excellence in Agriculture Award
- Marketing Campaign of the Year
- Arts & Entertainment Achievement Award
- Business Awards are open to companies, organizations, enterprises and not-for-profits within Central Okanagan. Nominations for individuals will be accepted for Young Entrepreneur. Business Leader nominations will be made by select committee.
- Businesses must be in operation for three (3) years with the exception of the Rising Star Category.
- Businesses are eligible for nomination in as many categories as applicable.
- Past year’s award recipients may not be nominated in the same category for one year following their win, but are eligible for other categories.
- Past year’s award finalists may be nominated in the same category or any other category in consecutive years.
- Considerations for judging will include operation management, financial health, corporate social responsibility, marketing strategies, and HR policies.
Rising Star Business of the Year A new business that has been in operation for less than 3 years and is not a franchisee.
Small Business of the Year: 1-15 employees*.
Mid-size Business of the Year: 16-50 employees*.
Large Business of the Year: 51+ employees*.
Young Entrepreneur Award: An entrepreneurial individual, aged 40 or under who has been in business for at least 3 years, demonstrating exceptional leadership.
Business Leader Award: An individual displaying outstanding leadership in the business community. (nominated via committee)
Social Impact Award: A business, society or organization that has demonstrated significant social impact within the community.
Excellence in Agriculture Award: A business that demonstrates exceptional practices and advancements in the agricultural industry.
Marketing Campaign of the Year: A business or organization that has successfully executed an integrated marketing campaign which ensures that they “walk the talk” when it comes to the campaign’s success.
Arts & Entertainment Award: A business, organization or a particular event that contributes to a vibrant community by celebrating arts, culture and/or heritage.
*2 Part Time Employees = 1 Full Time Employee
- Business Leader of the Year Tony Stewart of Quails' Gate Okanagan
- Social Entrepreneur Award Two Hat Security
- Distinction in Hospitality & Tourism Award Gray Monk Estate Winery & Vineyards
- Small Business of the Year (1-10 employees) Highstreet Ventures Inc.
- Rising Star Business of the Year BNA Brewing Co. & Eatery
- Marketer of the Year Csek Creative
- Mid-size Business of the Year (11-50 employees) Diversified Rehabilitation Group
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Rachel Clarida of Hatch Interior Design Inc.
- Technology/Innovation Award WTFast
- Large Business of the Year (51+ employees) Sun-Rype Products
- Sustainability Award Evergreen Building Maintenance Inc.
Photos of the event Video Profiles of Finalists
- Business Leader of the Year Theresa Arsenault of Pushor Mitchell LLP
- Micro Business of the Year (1-3 employees) CareSmart Seniors Consulting
- Small Business of the Year (4-15 employees) Bellamy Homes
- Mid-size Business of the Year (16-50 employees) SK Form & Finish Inc.
- Large Business of the Year (51+ employees) Emil Anderson Construction
- Social Enterprise Award Habitat for Humanity
- Rising Star Business of the Year Cottage Quilting Ltd.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Adrian Hazzi of Vantage West Realty
- Sustainability Award Summerhill Pyramid Winery
- Distinction in Hospitality/Tourism Award Hotel Eldorado
- Marketer of the Year Martketer Inc.
- Technology/Innovation Award TELUS
Video profiles of the finalists | Photos of the event
- Business Leader of the Year Mike Jacobs of Emil Anderson Construction
- Small Business of the Year (1-10 employees) Interior Portable Rentals
- Mid-size Business of the Year (11-30 employees) Border Plumbing, Heating and Air
- Large Business of the Year (31+ employees) Waterplay Solutions Corp.
- Community Impact Award of the Year Kelowna General Hospital Foundation
- Rising Star Business of the Year Mission Creek Orthodontics
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Guiseppe Simpatico of GoodSir Creative
- Eco-Star Award GreenStep Solutions Inc.
- Hospitality/Tourism Award Wells Gray Tours Ltd.
- Marketer of the Year Get in the Loop
Video Profiles of all the finalists | Photos of the Event
- Business Leader of the Year Andre Blanleil of Andres Electronic Experts
- Small Business of the Year (1-10 employees) Secure-Rite Mobile Storage Inc.
- Mid-size Business of the Year (11-30 employees) Hydraclean Restoration Services Ltd.
- Large Business of the Year (31+ employees) Wentworth Music
- Community Impact Award of the Year The Society of Hope
- Rising Star Business of the Year Okanagan Home Magazine
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Kylie Sutton of Moksha Yoga Kelowna
- Green Innovator Award Campion Marine Inc.
- Hospitality/Tourism Award The View Winery
Video Profiles of all the Finalists | Photos of the Event
- Business Leader of the Year Nancy Cameron of Tourism Kelowna
- Small Business of the Year (1-10 employees) Leone Industries
- Mid-size Business of the Year (11-30 employees) Vineyard Networks
- Large Business of the Year (31+ employees) JDS Energy & Mining Inc
- Community Impact Award of the Year Kelowna Community Food Bank
- Rising Star Business of the Year Rock House of Design Inc.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year CJ Wilkens of Optic Signs & Marketing Inc.
Video Profiles of all the Finalists | Photos of the Event