The Business Excellence Awards have been celebrating outstanding success in Kelowna since 1987 and have handed out nearly 200 awards to well deserving businesses.
*Nominations are now open until June 12th*
- Each year, nominations are received for the business and individual awards from accross the valley.
- Once nominations close, the nominees are provided a detailed nomination package to complete.
- *New this Year* We host a summertime celebration to recognize all the Nominees.
- Completed packages are then reviewed by an experienced group of judges by which a group of finalists are selected.
- The finalists are then visited in-person by appointment at their place of business by the judges in September.
- The finalists are profiled during the Business Excellence Awards ceremony during Small Business Week in October and the recipients are announced that evening.
Both the finalists and the award recipients receive valuable publicity before, during and after the event. The employees of these companies also feel a sense of pride in their employer.
This year, we've introduced two new categories and refined two categories.
- Rising Star Business of the Year
- Micro Business of the Year*
- Small Business of the Year
- Mid-size Business of the Year
- Large Business of the Year
- Social Entrepreneurship Award*
*Newly added or refined Categories!
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- Business Leader of the Year
- Distinction in Hospitality & Tourism Award
- Technology/Innovation Award*
1. Companies and Organizations are eligible for nomination with the exeption of the Young Entreprenuer & Business Leader categories.
2.Businesses must be in operation for three (3) years with the exception of the Rising Star category.
3. Businesses are eligible for nomination in as many categories as applicable.
3. Past Year's award Recipients may not be nominated in the same category for one year (1 year) following their win, but can be nominated and win in other categories.
4. Past Year's Finalists may be re-nominated in the same category or any other category.
5. Business Awards focus on Operations, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources and Management. Corporate Social Responsibility is also considered.
1. Rising Star Business of the Year: A new business that has been in operation for less than 3 years and is
not a franchisee
2. Micro Business of the Year: 1‐3 employees
3. Small Business of the Year: 4‐15 employees
4. Mid‐size Business of the Year: 16‐50 employees
5. Large Business of the Year: 51+ employees
6. Social Entrepreneurship Award: A not‐for‐profit society or for‐profit business with social enterprise as a business component.
7. Young Entrepreneur of the Year: An entrepreneurial individual, aged 40 or under. Needs to be in business for at least 3 years.
8. Business Leader of the Year: An individual displaying outstanding leadership in the business community.
9. Sustainability Award: A company whose business practices embrace innovative approaches and techniques which are cutting edge in contributing to environmental sustainability.
10. Distinction in Hospitality & Tourism Award: A company which demonstrates professionalism and a commitment
to excellence at their place of business, as well as generating new vitality in the tourism & hospitality industry, locally and provincially.
11. Marketer of the Year Award: A company which has successfully developed and executed an integrated marketing campaign which ensures that they “walk the talk” when it comes to their impact on the client’s campaign success.
12. Technology/Innovation Award: A company that has shown creativity and innovation in adopting, developing or utilizing new technology to advance their business.
So... what are you waiting for? NOMINATE A Business
Twenty-five finalists were honoured at the 27th Annual Business Excellence Awards on October 21st, 2015 at the Coast Capri Hotel where ten category recipients were announced, along with the Business Leader of the Year recipient. Presented by the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce and Platinum Sponsors the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP, the popular Kelowna event is part of the annual Small Business Week® activities (October 19-23, 2015). See photos of the event here
To view video of last Year's Categories, click below:
The Business Excellence Finalists for 2014:
Recipient: Mission Creek Orthodontics
Finalist: Wink i Wear Inc.
Sponsored by: FortisBC
Recipient: Kelowna General Hospital Foundation
Finalist: The Bridge Youth & Family Services Society
Sponsored by: Urban Systems Ltd.
Recipient: Guiseppe Simpatico, GoodSir Creative Inc.
Finalists: Dr. Derek Pollard, Mission Creek Orthodontics
David Veldhoen, Shorestone Homes Ltd
Sponsored by: UBC Okanagan
ECO-STAR INNOVATION AWARD
Recipient: GreenStep Solutions Inc.
Finalist: Okanagan Car Share Co-op
Sponsored by: Interior Savings Credit Union
DISTINCTION IN HOSPITALITY & TOURISM AWARD
Recipient: Wells Gray Tours Ltd.
Finalist: Okanagan Wine Country Tours
WildPlay Element Parks
Sponsored by: Tourism Kelowna
Recipient: Get in the Loop
Finalist: Juice FM, Vista Radio
Twin Creek Media Inc.
Sponsored by: Pushor Mitchell LLP
Recipient: Interior Portable Rentals
Recipient: Border Plumbing, Heating and Air
Finalist: Cellar-Tek Supplies Ltd.
Lyman Lures Manufacturing Ltd.
Sponsored by: Prospera Credit Union
Finalist: AAA Internet Publishing Inc. (DBA WTFast)
Building Blocks Educational Daycare.
Sponsored by: BDO Canada LLP
Recipient: Waterplay Solutions Corp.
Finalists: Boyd Autobody & Glass
SW Audio + Visual
Sponsored by: Grant Thornton LLP
BUSINESS LEADER OF THE YEAR Sponsored by: Ian Stuart & Associates
Mike Jacobs, fourth generation leader of the family owned Emil Anderson Construction.
For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Caroline Miller at 250-469-7358 or by email.
Below are some of the past recipients of the Business Excellence Awards:
2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007